Brow trends always seem to go through a transformation every few years. The early 2000s were known for stick-thin looks and the 2010s said hello to thick and defined brows.
We all have two brows above our eyes, but slight changes in length, arch, and thickness can make a big difference. The right eyebrow shape can flatter your face and your features. For example, a highly arched brow can elongate a round face.
First tip for exploring brow shapes? Don’t fall victim to trendy eyebrow fads. Brow trends have come and gone, but a good brow shape is timeless. We go over different eyebrow shapes below along with tips for maintaining your brows.
Brows for Each Face Shape
Before scrolling through Instagram, you’ll need to first understand how your ideal brow shape depends on your face shape. Look at the different features of your face to figure out your face shape.
Since your brows frame your face, they can give the illusion of slimmer or elongated proportions. They can also highlight different parts of your face.
You’ll want your brows to accentuate specific features so your face feels balanced. For example, if your jawline is wider than your forehead, you can elongate your brows to help your face feel more symmetrical. We’ll go into some basic tips below for different types of face shapes.
A heart-shaped face features a wider forehead and pointed chin. Shorter brows can make your forehead appear narrower and more balanced with your jawline. Soft and rounded arches also balance out the angles of your face.
If you have a long face, your brows should be on the straighter side. This will make your face appear shorter. Lengthening your brow tails also helps your face appear wider and takes attention away from your face length. Long brows also balance out your face when your eyes and other features are close together.
A square face has a sharp jawline and angular features. To soften the angles on your face, go for high and soft arches. Full brows bring the attention up and to your eyes. Avoid rounded brows since they’ll look unnatural with your face shape.
Softer is better for diamond-shaped faces. Rounded brows help soften sharp angles. You can also opt for soft arches if that fit your natural brow shape.
If you have a round face, your priority should be to elongate your features. To do that, go for a high arch that follows the natural shape of your brows — avoid rounded and flat brows. Rounded brows accentuate the roundness of your face and flat brows make your face appear shorter.
This face shape is symmetrical and works with lots of brow shapes. Natural and soft brow shapes look best. Shallow arches also keep your face balanced.
A triangle-shaped face has a sharp jawline that’s wider than the forehead. Full brows soften both of these features. You can add balance to your face by elongating the tails of your eyebrows without arching them downwards.
How to Brow Map at Home
The other key to understanding brow shapes is to learn about eyebrow mapping. Brow mapping is a technique to find the ideal shape for your brows. It shows you where your brows should stop, arch, and end.
A Pro has lots of experience doing this and can help you be more precise, especially if you’ve never tried it before. We break down the basic steps for brow mapping below.
- Step 1: Find your brow starting point. The beginning of your brow should be in line with the inner corner of your eye and the side of your nose.
- Step 2: Find your arch. To find where your brows should arch, hold your brow pencil on the side of your nose and straight over your eye.
- Step 3: Find where your brows end. To find where your brows end, hold your brow pencil to the side of your nose and align it with the outer corner of your eye.
Eyebrow Shapes Tips
Understanding your face shape along with eyebrow mapping are the two things that will get you closer to your perfect brow shape. Below, we go over some more tips for picking your eyebrow shape.
- Go with brows that enhance your face shape: Trends come and go, but your face shape will probably stay the same. Go with a shape that looks good on you and makes you feel good.
- Pick a brow size that fits your face: Certain brow shapes can overpower your face and accentuate features you may not want to highlight. For example, defined, full brows can overpower a small face.
- Consider brow treatments and services: Eyebrow feathering, brow serums, and eyebrow tinting are a couple ways to make your brows look fuller.
- See your esthetician every few weeks for a touch up: You may be able to go longer if you do some at-home upkeep.
Options for Eyebrow Shaping
There are quite a few options available today to shape your eyebrows like threading and waxing. Some methods, like plucking and makeup, are easy to do at home. Other options are best handled by a Pro. We recommend at least going to a Pro for your first time doing any of these methods to see how it’s done and to get your questions answered. Read on to learn about different eyebrow shaping options.
- Plucking: Plucking is easy to do at home and only requires a pair of tweezers. However, you risk overplucking and leaving yourself with a shape you don’t want. Overplucking can also damage your eyebrow hairs.
- Makeup: If you don’t want to mess with your actual brow hairs, you can opt for makeup. Brow pencils and other products are affordable and easy ways to define your brows at home.
- Waxing or sugaring: Waxing and sugaring are quick options to get the shape you want. It will probably hurt a little, but you should be fine with a little aloe vera afterwards. You can either do this at home or go to a Pro. Sugaring is a natural hair removal alternative to waxing.
- Threading: Eyebrow threading is when your esthetician uses thread to weave and pull out multiple hairs at a time. It’s much more precise and gentler on skin than other methods. You can do this at home or go to a Pro.
- Microblading and tattoos: Microblading is a semi-permanent type of eyebrow tattoo that makes your eyebrows look fuller. The results can last for a few years. You can also look into permanent eyebrow tattoos if you’re confident you won’t change your look. However, you should make sure your esthetician is licensed and has the proper training.
- Eyebrow wig: Eyebrow wigs are small brows that you can glue on to your face with a special wig glue. These can be made of both fake and real hair.
Finding a good eyebrow shape can do wonders for your face and features. Save a few photos while you’re searching so you can show your esthetician some examples. You should also research each shaping method since they vary a lot in price, technique, and how long they last. Reach out to a brow Pro in your area so they can help you achieve the perfect brow shape.