The competition is fierce. Not only is L.A home to the country’s biggest celebrities and socialites, it’s also where you’ll find the hottest stylists and barbers in the beauty game. So what does it take to make it to the top? Six of our boss stylists dish on insider business tips and some of their strangest client requests that seem too “L.A” to be true.
Get the tools these pros are using here.
Salina works with some of the most glamorous celebs and beauty icons in the world. Although she’s worked with a few of the Kardashian sisters, her main client is cosmetics mogul, Kylie Jenner, who she visits weekly for her nail appointments. Despite her high profile clientele, Salina is known for her down to earth personality, flexibility, and willingness to get her hands dirty. Check out her instagram for some incredible chrome, crystals, and neon claws.
- How long have you been in the business? Three years, but I grew up in the environment because my family owns a salon so I feel like I’ve been doing it forever!
- What is the one piece of advice about running a great business? It’s the golden rule of the universe – treat others how you would want to be treated. I take that motto into my life in all aspects, including work.
- What are you passionate about in your business? I absolutely love making people happy! There’s such a special feeling that takes over when a client leaves your seat pleased with your work.
- What is the wackiest request you have ever received from a client? I was at a house call one time for a very wealthy client. She had me do her nails while she was undergoing liposuction. There was a doctor on site and while he was operating on her I was doing an acrylic fill (designs and all!) on a limp hand. First time for everything!
Review: “Lina was literally the best! She knows what she’s doing! This was my first full set done by her and I’m honesty IN LOVEEEE! Would recommend to anyone who wants BOMB ass nails!” – Jillian P.
Sal is one of the scrappiest most sought after hair stylists in L.A. From the garage to the barbershop, he cut and styled his way into L.A.’s most exclusive hair scene. Each of his haircuts is a one-of-a-kind piece of art designed specifically for each client. His style is naturally-minimalist with a touch of Rock & Roll and he used his free time to work on creative projects like photo shoots and film. Sal continues to learn and experiment and his unique vision has attracted clients of all types including celebrities, artists, and fashion icons.
- How long have you been in the business? I’ve been doing hair since I was 13. I started off as a barber working from my garage then into a barbershop. I graduated hair school in 2012. I’ve been in the L.A. hair scene since then.
- What is the one piece of advice about running a great business? Ignore what everyone else is doing, trust your creativity and embrace your uniqueness. Focus on bettering your work and don’t compare yourself to others.
- What are you passionate about in your business? Giving people the opportunity to feel confident, changing their perspective of how they look at themselves every day by giving them something new.
- What is the wackiest request you have ever received from a client? Someone once asked me to give her an “air cut.” She had come in 2 weeks prior and felt so good about the whole experience that, once she was going through a lot of stress, she just wanted to simulate a haircut experience.
Review: “Sal was not only extremely creative and observant but had a great team with him. The personal attention was matched only by the attention to detail. 1/2 of the way in, when I’d be getting the assistant’s blow dry in other salons, he went back and cleaned it up from several different angles, including upside down!” — Kate W.
Cherin’s edgy hair coloring skills are in demand around the globe, from New York to Mexico City. Her commitment to innovation continues to fill her client list with celebs and L.A. it-girls. While training at the famous Neil George Salon located in Beverly Hills, Cherin worked nearly seven days a week and focused on building a portfolio on Instagram. Her amazing client photos speak for themselves and she credits many of her career opportunities to her stellar profile.
- How long have you been in the business? I went to beauty school in 2010 🙂 so I guess it’s been 7 years.
- What is the one piece of advice about running a great business? I always say being a hair colorist is more about managing expectations than being a yes person.
- What are you passionate about in your business? I love seeing that BIG smile and change of energy in a person when they see their new hair. They look and feel beautiful and it makes me so happy.
- What is the wackiest request you have ever received from a client? FULL color consultations over DM from across the world. I wish it were possible but I just need to see the hair.
Review: “Cherin is seriously an artist with color and her highlighting technique. She has it down to a science and never showed ANY doubt that she could deliver. I have never been happier with my color, but it’s so much more than that. The placement is so blended and seamless looking I can’t say enough good things about it!” — Kelly H.
Getting your clients “addicted” is the secret to every stylist’s success. Clients don’t just come for Arthur’s legendary cuts and attention to detail, they come for the vibes. His workspace, appropriately named “Splatter Haus,” could easily be mistaken for a minimalist art gallery. Arthur treats every client like a guest in his home and his unique blend of professionalism and creativity shows in every cut and style.
- How long have you been in the business? I’ve been cutting hair for about 2 1/2 years now.
- What is the one piece of advice about running a great business? Prepare for sacrifice and avoid obsessing over a “title.” We place imaginary boundaries around our dreams and we tend to think there are too many hurdles to jump over before we can achieve success. Treat people with respect, spread positive energy throughout your shop, and remain humble. This goes a long way to help you build your character and your brand.
- What are you passionate about in your business? What drove me to pursue my passion for hair was my sincere hate for not being able to control my own career and income. I started cutting hair for friends and eventually, hair took over my life. I consider myself truly blessed to be able to work with the great individuals I get to see on a constant basis who support me and my business relentlessly.
- What is the wackiest request you have ever received from a client? My client once asked me to “give him a haircut that looked like his grandpa’s” (he was going to play a role of an old man in a musical he was performing in) so I shaved the top part of his hair, and left the sides and dyed it gray.
Review: “Art is one of the most down to earth guys. He really makes it a priority to make sure your hair is looking as fresh as can be. The environment is awesome and I love the privacy aspect of going in for a one-on-one and being able to talk about anything. My business is with Arthur and all the exciting things he’s got going on @splatterhaus!!!”
Robin’s trick to success? Respecting her clients. She works hard to create an amazing experience so everyone who visits, feels like they’re home. Not to mention, she makes them look and feel amazing too. Simply put, she’s got “the baddest press game out there.” She has tons of clients, but makes sure to take her time with each appointment. Check out her reviews and you’ll see how many people swear that Robin is “the best in the west.”
- How long have you been in the business? Over 20 years.
- What is the one piece of advice about running a great business? Have a great attitude, respect your clients, and make them feel like they are needed as much as they need you. And simply slay lol….
- What are you passionate about in your business? I’m most passionate about making my clients feel and look beautiful. Honestly, I couldn’t rest knowing a client wasn’t satisfied with my work! I feel like you only get one chance at every hair appointment, so I give my very best, hope they love it, and most of them do!
- What is the wackiest request you have ever received from a client? I can’t remember any particularly wack request because almost any hair style is possible with glue and extensions. However, I have worked with clients who had unreasonable expectations. For example, “I would like a full head weave, extension, five bundles installed, and a style with a bunch of curls. Think you can have me out in about a hour?”
Review: “I love Robin she is very professional and very polite. She treats all her clients respectfully and her shop is very relaxing. Her work is very neat and when you leave you feel like a star ? ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️” – Courtney A
Miles is known for his precision cutting, attention to detail, and super clean fades. His skills allow him to work quickly and he makes sure to give each appointment the attention it deserves – he listens to his clients’ requests and knows exactly how to deliver. As one client mentioned, “I’ve been to a few different barber shops in L.A. and Miles is the first one that actually cut my hair the way I wanted! I have FINALLY found my L.A. Barber.”
- How long have you been in the business? I’ve been in the Business for about 7 years. I started as soon as I graduated high school as an apprentice and worked my way up. Before high school, I was cutting my little brothers hair, then I was cutting the neighborhood kids and then students in the high school bathrooms.
- What is the one piece of advice about running a great business? Have excellent customer service and communication skills. One thing your clients will always respect is feeling like you are on the same page as them.
- What are you passionate about in your business? I love the fact that I make people happy. I’m passionate about other people and giving them exactly what they want. They leave the chair feeling like a whole new person and it makes their day better.
- What is the wackiest request you have ever received from a client? Cutting hair in L.A. you hear a lot of weird things. Especially because everyone has an image they’re trying to maintain. So one day this guy came in and said, “I want a nice clean cut but keep it dirty looking.” I had no idea what to do. So I “accidentally ” made his haircut look too clean. He still paid me, but it was awkward.
Review: “Miles is cool. Very friendly and personable. Talented. My cut was clean. Fast service. Gave me exactly what I asked for. I’m very pleased and would definitely go back!” – Zenas O.
Think you’re one of the best stylists in the city? Good news, this is just one of many articles we will be posting to feature our professionals around the nation. Nominate yourself or your stylist here to be featured.